Gas Safe Week, taking place from 14 - 20th September, turns ten this year and to mark the achievements of a decade of raising gas safety awareness the team at Phoenix Energy Services are taking the opportunity to remind local residents of the simple steps they can take to stay gas safe at home.
As Phoenix Energy Services General Manager Paul McKee explains, “Gas Safety Week provides an important platform to raise the profile of gas safety with consumers and to highlight the additional safety features of natural gas when compared with other fuels.
“As more and more people across the Phoenix Natural Gas licence area connect and enjoy the benefits of natural gas, it is important that customers are aware of the need to have their gas appliances inspected regularly.
“Despite having a strong safety record, it is important that natural gas appliances are checked on an annual basis using responsible, highly skilled, gas safe registered engineers, using the Gas Safe Register. To find your local registered engineer, log on to www.gassaferegister.co.uk
Top tips to stay safe:
- Remember your annual check-up! - gas appliances should be inspected annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Also check the warranty details on your boiler (some offer warranty up to 10 years).
- Check your tradesman is Gas Safe registered – the Gas Safe register list can be found at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or by calling 0800 408 5500.
- Check for signs that appliances are not working correctly – for example, lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Never attempt to work on a gas appliance yourself, always seek the help of a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer who can work on your gas cooker, boiler or fire in a safe way.
- Consider getting a quality audible carbon monoxide alarm - this will alert you in the event that there are traces of carbon monoxide in your property.
Photo caption: Spanner the Safety Dog launches Gas Safe Week 2020, marking a decade of Gas Safe Week, supported by Phoenix Energy Services.