• Phoenix Natural Gas is among seven companies shortlisted for the NI Responsible Company of the Year Award
• The Responsible Business Awards seek to recognise and reward firms in Northern Ireland that are embracing the journey to build better workforces, create a sustainable economy and healthy communities
• The winner will be announced at a special black-tie event on Thursday 30 May at Belfast Waterfront Hall
Shortlisted in the NI Responsible Company of the Year Award, sponsored by Heron Bros., Phoenix Natural Gas demonstrates positive impacts across its people, the planet and the places where it operates and advocates the benefits to encourage others to follow.
Michael McKinstry, Phoenix Natural Gas Chief Executive Officer, said, “Since arriving in Northern Ireland just over 20 years ago, natural gas has lit up the path to a greener future for local energy consumers. Today, Phoenix provides over 220,000 households with an energy source that has removed over 7.5 million tonnes of CO2 from the environment, the equivalent carbon saving of 350,000 cars removed from Northern Ireland’s roads.
“Phoenix has been a long-standing advocate for corporate social responsibility. For us, CSR is entwined with the business strategy, sitting comfortably alongside a long-term, sustainable business which is creating real economic, social and environmental value.
“Driven from the top, corporate responsibility is embedded at every level in the organisation and embraced by all staff. It’s this transformational approach that we believe identifies us as an organisation that embodies responsible business, as evidenced by Phoenix being a dominant award winner in previous accolades from Business in the Community for Corporate Responsibility excellence.
“This year, we are delighted to add Business in the Community’s CORE accreditation to our achievements in responsible business and to have our work in this area recognised as being among the very best in Northern Ireland. We are privileged to be shortlisted for the Northern Ireland Responsible Company of the Year award and through this platform we will continue to seek additional new ways to add real value to the people, planet and places that we serve.”
The annual awards, run by Business in the Community and supported by JP Corry and Ulster Business, seek to recognise and celebrate firms in Northern Ireland that are making a difference by taking practical action to address pressing social and environmental issues.
This year’s award categories are:
- NI Responsible Company of the Year, sponsored by Heron Bros.
- Investing in your Communities Award, sponsored by Caterpillar
- Responsible Digital Innovation Award, sponsored by Ciena
- Diversity and Inclusion Award, sponsored by Legal-Island
- Education Partnership Award, sponsored by Allen & Overy
- Employability and Jobs Award, sponsored by Belfast Harbour
- Environmental Leadership Award, sponsored by Arthur Cox
- Responsible Product/Service Award, sponsored by Ciena
- One-to-Watch Award, sponsored by Survitec
- Wellbeing at Work Award, sponsored by Larne Port
Business in the Community NI’s Managing Director, Kieran Harding, said: “Now more than ever, businesses are getting on with the job – demonstrating strong leadership and their commitment to their people, the planet and the places in which they are located. The Awards provide the perfect vehicle to showcase some of the best responsible business actions being taken by organisations here to ensure they are continuing to be a force for good in society.
“Once again, the calibre of entries for this year’s Responsible Business Awards in Northern Ireland was exceptionally high, and our judges found the shortlisting process a challenge. I would like to take this opportunity to wish all finalists the very best of luck and we look forward to welcoming everyone to the gala awards dinner at Belfast Waterfront Hall on Thursday 30 May where the winners will be announced.”
For more information visit www.bitcni.org.uk or call (028) 9046 0606.