Phoenix Energy Services and Spanner the gas safety dog came to the Kennedy Centre this week as part of a special regional road show to promote gas safety through Gas Safety Week which took place from the 16th – 22nd September 2019.
The Phoenix Energy Services team were on hand to promote key safety messages and offer advice to householders on staying gas safe through a special stand within the centre alongside Spanner, the gas safety dog who helped even the youngest shoppers get involved.
As well as promoting Gas Safety Week, the Phoenix Energy Services team took the opportunity to remind local residents and shoppers of the simple steps they can take to stay gas safe at home:
- Service your gas appliances every year - gas appliances should be checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered tradesman. Also check warranty details on boilers (some offer warranty up to 10 years).
- Check your tradesman is Gas Safe registered – the Gas Safe register list can be found at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or by calling 0800 408 5500.
- Check for signs that appliances are not working correctly – for example, lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Never attempt to work on a gas appliance yourself, always seek the help of a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer who can work on your gas cooker, boiler or fire in a safe way.
- Consider getting a quality audible carbon monoxide alarm - this will alert you in the event that there are traces of carbon monoxide in your property.
Phoenix Energy Services General Manager Paul McKee said, “Gas Safety Week provides an important platform to raise the profile of gas safety with consumers and to highlight the additional safety features of natural gas when compared with other fuels.
“As more and more people across the Phoenix Natural Gas licence area connect and enjoy the benefits of natural gas, it is important that customers are aware of the need to service gas appliances regularly.
“Despite having a strong safety record, it is important that natural gas appliances are checked on an annual basis using responsible, highly skilled, gas safe registered engineers, using the Gas Safe Register. To find your local registered engineer, log on to: www.gassaferegister.co.uk